Town of Edwards
|The Town of Edwards
has had a historical group since the 1970's, sometimes
more active than others. The present Association
began in December 1998.
Our museum is located at 222 Main St., Edwards, New
|All year by
|Our town historian is LaVerne H.
Freeman. She may be contacted by phone at
(315)562-3500 or by e-mail.
|The Association meets
on the second Wednesday of the month at 1:30 PM at the
History Center, March through June and September
through November. Programs of local interest are
presented at each meeting. Local citizens are
encouraged to contact the
Historian if they are interested in assisting with
future programs at the monthly meetings.
joining the Edwards Historical Association.
|The Historian is
prepared to present programs on local history to
school and other groups to share the many aspects of
Edwards for the edification and enjoyment of others.
Call Mrs. Freeman
at (315)562-3500 or by e-mail.
for sponsoring our web site
|The Edwards History Center will hold an
open house August 2, 2014 in their new location of 222
Main St, Edwards, NY from 1-4 pm. Come help us
celebrate. Building has handicap entrance. For
more information, contact: Elaine Archer at 315-562-3521.
|The primary purposes
of the Edwards Historical Association shall be:
- to collect and preserve artifacts, written
articles and memories of the village and town of
- to disseminate information to the general
public through welcoming visitors to the museum, open
meetings of the historical association, printed
articles and cultural events.
Start of Edwards
|Edwards is Township
#8 of Macomb's Great Tract No. 3. It was
originally a square, but later a section from Hermon
was added to the upper right hand corner. The
military highway and the waterpower from the
Oswegatchie River induced settlers to come to the town
and establish businesses and homes.
While the first settlers came in 1812, and the
large influx of Scottish immigrants in 1819, the town
was not organized by an act of legislature until April
7, 1827. The original community was started on the Island
with the first annual meeting held at the house of
William Martin on May 1, 1827. Orra Shead was
elected the first supervisor.
The village expanded on the mainland along the
military highway (the Russell Turnpike) and the town
developed with farming. Then the discovery of
talc and zinc made the community a mining town until
1981 when the mines closed.